It is an accepted fact that exercise is an important part of any healthy lifestyle. Every muscle you have can burn calories, so the more you work your muscles, the more calories you burn. A good diet and good exercise really is 1+1=3. Move that body and do some exercises to achieve a good weight and a flexible body that will provide you a fantastic healthy life.
Walking is great exercise to lose weight. Moreover, it does not require any expertise or equipment and you can do it free anytime you feel like it. However, to be beneficial, you should do it regularly. Make walking a daily habit or at least 3 to 5 times a week depending on your schedule.
Before you start walking, do some warm-up stretching exercises. Check out my other article on stretching here. Remember, stretch only as far as you feel comfortable so as not to pull any muscles. Start with a modest goal, like 15 to 20 minutes at a leisurely pace. Gradually extend the duration and speed. Walk up one or two gentle slopes. Your walk should be comprised of three segments: warm-up, exercise pace, and cool-down.
- Walk with your chin up and your shoulders held slightly back.
- The heel of your foot should touch the ground first. Roll your weight forward.
- Swing your arms as you walk.
- To avoid stiff or sore muscles or joints, start gradually. Over several weeks, begin walking faster, going further, and walking for longer periods of time.
- Walk on soft ground whenever possible.
- Quench yourself, drink 8 to 10 ounces of water for every 20 to 30 minutes of the activity.
The more you walk, the better you will feel. Plus, walking also uses more calories; thus, burning more fats. Its benefits include giving you more energy, making you feel good, helping you to relax, reducing stress, helping you sleep better, helping control your appetite and increasing the number of calories your body uses. It is more important to walk for time than speed. Walking at a moderate pace yields longer workouts with less soreness leading to more miles and more calories spent on a regular basis.
HOT TIP – Why not try listening to an audio-book while out walking? It adds a great focus to a walk and you’ll find that the time and the kilometres fly by. Happy walking.